Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Memory Found

While working on genealogy this weekend I found notes from Aunt Margaret that have their 22 year anniversary today. Sharing below - the content has been edited to highlight the best parts.

Monday, Memorial Day, May 26, 1986
I made another dream come true!

Here I am in the County of Wythe - where one or several of my great ancestors lived. I left (this morning)...drove over 300 miles! Tomorrow I'll drive to Wythesville to Oral Jones Real Estate to see if they can direct me to Ewing Mountain and other areas.

Tuesday & Wednesday

Research, refuge in the only motel within 16 miles of Gate City (VA), Scott County Library, found a better motel.

Thursday

...drove to Gate City to get more info on Fort Houston. I arrived at their library where I located the Scott County Cemetery map which told me where the Jonathan Wood Cemetery was which "is past the Fort Houston historical marker." So I decided I'd drive around and see if I could find it on my own. I found a dirt road but it was not right. I tried another one that turned out to be a driveway. The couple sittin' on the front porch were old but very nice - told me to keep going down the road till I saw a brick house with a trailer, "those folks is Woods" and they could help me... Fortunately I found the Houston marker and I took some photos of it and the area. So I drove on a bit more and finally saw the dirt road on the left side while the cemetery came into view. AMEN! I slowly and carefully drove down the road - it was a bit hairy because it was on a ridge - would have been a bit of a drop with no shoulder. I introduced myself to the couple and asked them if this is the Jonathan Wood Cemetery - when they said YES - my heart nearly stopped - I told them how excited I was and asked if I could go see it and take pictures, they said sure.

...started walking up the hill. The grass was up to my hips - the temp was 80 degrees or more - it was quite an uphill walk but I did it - I really found it. I took a few pictures and walked down the hill and thanked the folks again...Gosh, what a day!

Laura again here. As with a lot of Margaret's notes it was clear she was watching every penny. She documented each expense throughout her trip. But on Friday of her journey she had experience that did her heart and mine some good. She had breakfast at the Waffle House and went about as all out as she ever would with a full breakfast of waffles, eggs, bacon, juice and coffee. It was $4.99, she hit it off so well with the waitress, she told her, "You're the most pleasant person I've seen in over 700 miles." which was especially pleasing because the Assistant Manager was right next to her. And then she tipped $3 on her $4.99 breakfast. Well, you know, that's Margaret.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for posting that Laura. I can just hear Margaret telling me that story. Was it really that long ago? She makes me smile so often.

Unknown said...

It's now 2018 and I love reading this as much as ever. Thank you Laura! I love this stuff.